26th Special Tactics Squadron
|26th Special Tactics Squadron|
Members from the 26th Special Tactics Squadron in a free fall jump from an MC-130J Commando II
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Type||Special Operations Forces|
Air Force Special Operations Command|
24th Special Operations Wing
720th Special Tactics Group
|26th Special Tactics Squadron emblem|
The 26th Special Tactics Squadron is one of the Special Tactics units of the United States Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC). It is garrisoned at Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico. From 1991 to 1992, the squadron's predecessor, the 7026th Special Activities Squadron was stationed in Europe.
The Squadron is made up of Special Tactics Officers, Combat Controllers, Combat Rescue Officers, Pararescuemen, Special Operations Weather Technicians, Air Liaison Officers, Tactical Air Control Party operators, and a number of combat support airmen which comprise 58 Air Force specialties.
Special Tactics Squadrons are organized, trained and equipped specifically for various special operations missions facilitating air operations on the battlefield. They conduct combat search and rescue missions, collect intelligence, as well as call in close air support or airstrikes against enemy combatants and are often parterned with other U.S. special operations forces overseas.
- Designated and activated as the 7026 Special Activities Squadron on 1 Aug 1991 and inactivated on 1 May 1992
- Redesignated as the 26th Special Tactics Squadron
- Activated on 28 February 2014
- Cannon Air Force Base 28 February 2014 - Present
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 26th Special Tactics Squadron.|
- "Factsheet:24th Special Operations Wing". Archived from the original on February 25, 2013. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- "Factsheet:720th Special Tactics Group". Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Reece, SRA Eboni (April 24, 2014). "Cannon welcomes new special tactics squadron". 27 Special Operations Wing Public Affairs. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- See "Factsheet 24th Special Operations Wing". 24th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs. September 4, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2015. (list of groups and squadrons assigned to 24th Wing)